Saturday, February 7, 2009

Fading Fun Family Tradition

The first Saturday in February is supposedly "National Ice Cream for Breakfast Day" — a lesser known but very significant holiday. The Kenison family (already well-known for their love of ice cream) thought it was an excellent idea, and has joined in the celebration for a number of years. The kids have had fun inviting all their friends to join us, and we've had some lively Saturday morning celebrations in past years.

Now Sarah has moved out, and she took the tradition with her; I was pleased and proud to hear she held a party in her apartment with a good gathering of friends. She forgot to take photos, though, so I guess I didn't train her quite as well as I should have! :-)

Meanwhile, "back at the ranch," I talked through the week with Matt about having his friends come over on Saturday morning. He "texted" a bunch of invitations and had positive responses from a number of friends, some of whom have been with us for the party in past years. I got up early and went shopping to make sure we were prepared with the necessary supplies:


There were at least four or five more varieties of ice cream in the freezer in addition to the ones shown; we always make sure to have a great selection.

Unfortunately, there were complications. Matt had to stay up pretty late with work and helping a friend with a personal issue; so he wasn't very able to get up at 8:00 a.m. as planned. And I guess either he was not clear about the invitation, or else his friends stayed home waiting for confirmation — no one showed up!

Bonnie's diet gave her courage to resist, but I was not willing to let the tradition die, so I had a delicious one-man party of my own.

1 comment:

Rachael Hutchings said...

Aaaaaah! I can't believe I missed it! I need to get this on the calendar so that I don't miss it next year. Despite currently watching what I'm eating so that I can lose the baby weight, I would have gladly joined you--a very worthy cause.