Saturday, February 28, 2009

Scout fun

I like working with the scouts when I can. Scouting meant a lot to me when I was a boy, and I believe in the principles and goals and methods. But lately, I don't have much direct interaction with scouting activities.

Our stake hosts a "merit badge PowWow" each spring, and I had the privilege of teaching a Photography class. The first session was today; the next one will be in two weeks. It was interesting to try to cover concepts like aperture, shutter speed, depth-of-field, composition techniques, etc. Many 12-year-old boys are not quite ready for some of the ideas we tried to cover. But I tried to make it fun for them, and showed lots of example photos to demonstrate the concepts.

It will be interesting to see the projects they come back with for the next class. They're supposed to take about 20 photos and create either a poster board or slide show, telling a story or sharing a common theme. I suspect the quality will very dramatically!


No comments: