Saturday, January 31, 2009

Snowshoe hike

Bonnie gave me a "gift certificate" for Christmas, inviting me to go for an afternoon showshoe hike. Today turned out to be the perfect day for it — with time available and gorgeous weather (clear skies, high about 35). I rented the shoes from BYU's outdoor shop, and we drove up to the Timpanogos trailhead above Aspen Grove. The shoes are pretty high-tech things that strap onto your boots. They aren't as big as some I remember from my childhood, but provide enough distribution of weight to stay on top of the snow. And they have little cleats to improve traction.


We went up after lunch, and wished we had been there a little earlier (part of the hike was already shaded by the sun). We were cool in the shadows, but quite warm in the sun (thanks to the exertion).


I love the setting and scenery there above Aspen Grove. It's a pretty spectacular place, any time of the year:


It was a delightful afternoon, and one of my very best Christmas presents! We are eager to return and try this again. It was refreshing and inspiring!

No comments: