Friday, July 24, 2009

Timpanogos Hike

Today was Pioneer Day, and I had the day off work; Bonnie wasn't so lucky. So in honor of the pioneers, I got up early, strapped on my boots, grabbed my hiking poles, and headed for a trek in the mountains.

Not just any mountain, of course. My FAVORITE mountain — Mt. Timpanogos. I long ago lost count of how many times I have been to the summit (fiftyish?), or how many times I have hiked the various trails. I never tire of the spectacular scenery, the refreshing waterfalls, the beautiful wildflowers, the fresh mountain air. I love having the chance to return.

I'm anticipating another Timp hike with friends & relatives the day after Sarah's wedding (Saturday August 8), so I wasn't particularly motivated to go to the summit. This hike was mostly to help me get in shape, to check out the wildflower status, to look for mountain goats, and to play with my new camera. It was a very successful morning, with the exception of the goats, who were nowhere to be seen (unlike last year when I spent an hour roaming amid the herd near Emerald Lake — see photos here).

I hiked up the Timpanooke trail, across the basin and up to Emerald Lake, then back. It was about 15 miles according to my GPS, and I managed to take over 600 photos during that time. Here are two sets (it was hard to limit the selection). The first contains a few general views of the mountain, the hike, the waterfalls, and the vistas:



The second is all flowers; I had lots of fun with closeups. I think I've only once or twice seen more beautiful flowers on Timp than this year (perhaps because of the very rainy spring season). Many of the best flowers were below the basin, so I'm hoping they are still peaking at the higher altitudes and we might have an even better show in a couple of weeks. This was REALLY hard to limit; here are a few of the very best:



If someone really likes flowers and wants to see a larger set of my 78 favorites (including the 22 very favorites shown above) click here.

7 comments:

Judy said...

600 PHOTOS??? Wow! I'm impressed you didn't take two days for the hike! This is gorgeous. It may sway me in favor of Timp over Sneffels.

Doris said...

I too enjoyed your flower photos. One of my great childhood memories is a hike on West Mountain where I saw a Utah Sego Lily. (the only time I have ever seen one in the wild.) Do you see any of them on you Timp hikes? ---- Doris

David Kenison said...

None on Timp. But I've seen them this year in Payson Canyon and in Battle Creek canyon (front side of Timp) - I'll send you a photo!

Kaye judd said...

I had no idea you've hiked Timp 50-ish times. Very impressive, since I've never done it. Maybe this year...? Beautiful photos. Your camera was worth whatever you paid for it.

Sister Matthews said...

Someone in my ward was just telling me about 'some guy' who hikes Timp every year on the same day--starts really early. They pass him coming down as they are just starting up...Is that you? Do you go on the same day every year? (It was either July 4th or July 24th)

BYW--Your pics were gorgeous!!! I'm glad you shared! --Nicole

Bob said...

That is a serious number of photos. I have to agree that Timp is one of the greatest hikes there is. The number of times you've been up is amazing.

Wendi said...

You have so many talents--hiking, cooking, photography. Impressive! (And those mountain goat pictures are particularly neat.) I've had so much fun reading your entire blog in two sittings. Sorry about all the comments. Next I'm going to read about your son's missionary adventures. :)