Thursday, July 23, 2009

Bliss Part 2

I live for three things each summer:
  1. Peas
  2. Tomatoes
  3. Peaches
They come in that order, as the season progresses. Each holds a place in my heart, and brings its own deep satisfaction. Peas come early and are the "firstfruits" of an early garden planting; but their season is relatively short. Tomatoes come next, and last the duration of the summer until some time past the first frost (with care and planning). Then sweet juicy peaches, in their several varieties, and all the goodness of milkshakes, smoothies, desserts, ice cream, etc.

Of course, each of these can be preserved in some ways, and each can be obtained "out of season" thanks to our modern system of national and international supply. But there is nothing that can compare with the fresh homegrown Utah variety, just off the plant or vine or tree.

This week, I was thrilled to enter phase 2 of my summer bliss, as we began harvesting tomatoes from the garden in earnest. I know that for the next three or four months, I'll be "popping" the sweet candy-like cherry tomatoes, enjoying sandwiches with thick slices of meaty fruit, relishing the cucumber/tomato salads, and so on.

Early peaches should be coming soon. Then my summer bliss with be into high gear.

3 comments:

Judy said...

We started harvesting this week too. I'm not sure why my tomatoes have taken so long to turn red this year. Savannah had at least 30 grape tomatoes on Saturday that she picked from our plant. She's a tomatoe freak.
Will there by peaches by mid-August? You could bring me some...

David Kenison said...

Tomatoe? Quayle-ism.

Early peaches are on now! They're not quite as sweet and aren't freestone, but they're peaches. Watch for a blog update!

Judy said...

Oops. I do know how to spell tohmayto.