Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Bliss Part 3

A few days ago, I talked about my joy in enjoying fresh Utah peas, tomatoes, and peaches. Today, the third part of that succulent triad was realized as I purchased the first box of early peaches. They are called "early red haven" and are "cling" variety (as opposed to "freestone"). They are quite juicy but not as flavorful as later varieties. But when you've been on a 9-month famine, any fresh peach is a wonderful peach!

In years past, our family tradition was to have a peach milkshake at bedtime almost every night. That involves cutting up several peaches, placing them in the blender with vanilla ice cream, and then enjoying. We even had a special set of glasses that were reserved for our peach milkshakes. What a great tradition! However, it's also a high-calorie tradition. More recently, Bonnie has convinced me to go the "peach slushie" route, mixing the peaches with ice cubes and sugar substitute. You get almost the same flavor enjoyment, but at a fraction of the calories. (I confess to "cheating" once in a while and having an ice cream version when Bonnie isn't watching...)

I am convinced that peas, tomatoes, and peaches are among the signs of God's love for His children. I am grateful!

No comments: