Wednesday, May 6, 2009

New scripture

Every six months, I go through an ordeal after General Conference. I am always eager to get the printed proceedings so I can begin to study! The talks are available online, but I like having the permanent copy which I will study and carry with me for the next six months. It's hard to wait, while the anticipation builds!

I wait a couple of weeks, then start calling the Church Distribution Center each afternoon. Today was the happy day! On the day they are available, I go in and buy 8 or 10 copies. These are for family members (I sent one to Matt in the MTC), and for those I serve closely with in my Church assignment. They each get a personal copy on the first day the magazine is available. I've done this for a number of years now — it's become a great tradition!

Each cover is unique, and I appreciate the selections because I'll see this image daily for the next half year. Each conveys a unique spirit or message. In this edition, the primary impression is President Monson's joyful greeting to the Church members who love and sustain him. But I love the secondary message — he is not alone. In the "background" we see his counselors and their wives, at least two other apostles, and others we can't identify. The subtle message to me is the concept of a wonderful "support staff" of other men and women that enable President Monson to do his singular work in directing the Church. Most of us are in support roles in some way, often less visible and almost fading into the background. But we know "the body hath need of every member, that all may be edified together, that the system may be kept perfect" (D&C 84:110) and our unified service will enable the work to move forward.

5 comments:

Your Sister said...

My conference copy came last Friday. Those of us in Zion must get it first! Chris

David Kenison said...

For some reason, the Utah distribution was much later this time than I ever remember. I know they do try to get the mailing started before they make it available locally - glad the Billings portion of Zion was high on the list. I can usually buy copies within 3 weeks - this time it was more than 4.

Angie said...

They haven't made it to Minnesota yet. :(

Angie said...

Got mine today!

Wendi said...

I appreciate your enthusiasm. It's contagious. :)