Friday, August 7, 2009

Oh, Happy Day!

"Happiness is the object and design of our existence; and will be the end thereof, if we pursue the path that leads to it…"
- Joseph Smith, TPJS 255
As I consider the happiness of my life as it relates to Sarah’s wedding, I can describe it in three phases.

A GLORIOUSLY HAPPY DAY

Today will surely rank among the very most joyful days of my life (so far!). It was absolutely marvelous in every way. We were blessed with wonderful weather (cooler but calm and clear). Everything went according to plan – there were no significant problems or mistakes. We were surrounded by family and friends. And there was a feeling of deep contentment, of shared joy, of eager anticipation for a bright and shining future.

The day began early with a hair-styling appointment, and Sarah transformed easily into Princess Sarah! She was even more beautiful than normal, though that’s hard to believe. We enjoyed our traditional special-occasion family breakfast of cinnamon rolls and omelets. We gathered everything together and reviewed our checklists as we loaded the car. I had the wonderful, sacred privilege of giving one last father’s blessing, and we were on our way to the Mount Timpanogos Temple.

We had arranged for an old friend of mine to perform the sealing. George Durrant was the stake president when I served as high councilor and then bishop at BYU, so we worked closely for about 4 years. Now that he’s retired and working in the temple, we were delighted to have him available to officiate at this event. In his warm and uniquely personal style, he gave Sarah and Brian counsel about their marriage, encouraging them to become each other’s heroes and to be supportive and united in spiritual growth. He mentioned that life will not always be easy, but that prayers for strength are one prayer that God always answers. He told them to build on the best of their shared traditions and find their own new ones. He said to honor covenants, return often to the temple, and create a home full of the Lord’s spirit. I love this dear man; he added to much to the sacred nature of why we were there.

The sealing ordinance itself is brief and powerful. I loved hearing the words today more than ever (except perhaps on my own wedding day). I loved the look of joy and total devotion on Sarah’s and Brian’s faces as they stared into each other’s eyes, and then kissed for the first time as husband and wife.

We have come to love Brian. We appreciate his devotion to Sarah, and the goodness of his heart and spirit. We are completely confident that he will devote himself to making her happy, to growing in unity and love and oneness. We absolutely could not ask for a better son-in-law; what joy that brings to us!

There was quite a crowd assembled to welcome the newlyweds as they exited the temple. Our photographer took some nice group shots, then most of the guests left for the luncheon while we took more photos of the couple. The day was so pretty, pleasant and not too hot; we were greatly blessed!

The luncheon (hosted by the Wrights) was held at Los Hermanos, the restaurant where Matt worked before his mission. There was wonderful food and enjoyment in socializing with extended family members (many of whom we are meeting for the first time). The food was delicious and we all enjoyed chatting.

As a part of the luncheon, when we were all introducing ourselves, I brought out my big surprise. I told Bonnie about this just as we arrived at Los; no one else knew it was coming. As the luncheon started, we went around the room and did introductions, and when it was my turn (very last), I said I had one more person to introduce. I had created a full-size cutout of Matt by enlarging a photograph and mounting it on foamboard. It was in two pieces for convenience, so while I put it together, I told everyone who Matt was (since most of those attending were Brian’s relatives). Then I stood him up in front of the group, had Sarah stand next to the cutout, and read a message to Sarah that Matt had written for the occasion. It was GREAT! It really was a highlight of the day. Everyone was thrilled. I cried the first time I read this note to Sarah when Matt sent it to me last week, but managed to hold it together when I read it at the luncheon. Sarah and Matt have had a wonderful closeness, and have been good for each other.

This was his message (in his wonderful personal style):
Sarah-
I want to quickly let you know that I’m proud of you. I’m proud you found a boy you love who you can spend the rest of your life with (and longer ;D). I also want to say thank you. thanks for always watching out for me. thanks for being my favorite sister. haha :D thanks for all the times you’ve helped me, in school (especially when i was a sophmore) on sundays or other days when there wasn’t a lot to do and you’d make cookies with me. thank you for everything you’re the best sister ever haha :D I love you so much. Brian you better take care of her she means a lot to me and to my family. she is a very special girl to me and i want the best for her. take care of her. let her know you love her haha :D i know you will. thanks everyone for everything you’re the greatest I love you :D
-elder kenison
The afternoon was a little more relaxing. Bonnie worked on setting up the reception center while I completed the "video" slideshow that was shown during the reception.

The reception at Sleepy Ridge was the capstone to the day. It was cool enough to be able to have the receiving line outdoors, and we enjoyed chatting with a steady stream of family and friends. The food (catered by Magleby's) was tasty and plentiful, the decorations were beautiful, the music was good, and everything worked out as planned. We loved every minute of it. I didn't get many photos of this time, since I was occupied otherwise — we'll have to wait for the formal photos to come out. But here are a few:


Sarah saw me shed quite a few tears today — during the sealing, the photo shoots, and the reception. I told Sarah as we danced that traditional "Daddy-daughter dance" that not one of the tears all day long was a tear of sadness or disappointment or regret. They were all tears of joy — every one! That's really how I felt today. I am so happy that my daughter is happy, and progressing in this wonderful new phase of her eternal life.

HAPPY 3 1/2 MONTHS

Bonnie and I totally enjoyed the period of preparation leading to today. When Sarah and Brian became engaged in April, the fun began. There were many, many details to attend to; but we like that kind of challenge. We made “to-do” lists and collected addresses. We designed the invitation and the decorations. We shopped for clothes and considered flowers and cakes. We took LOTS of photos, and enjoyed working with our photographer to take more. We selected a printer for the invitation, printed addresses on envelopes, stuffed and stamped and mailed. We “crashed” weddings at Sleepy Ridge to help us plan our own reception. We tried to anticipate problems and prepare in advance. We prayed for good weather, but made alternate plans. We worked around Sarah’s busy schedule (two summer jobs) and Brian’s sometimes conflicting schedule. We enjoyed getting to know the Wrights a little more.

All of this has been so fun! We have only one daughter, and we wanted to make the most of it! And I think we succeeded pretty well. Looking back now, we can’t think of many things we could have changed. We hope Sarah and Brian feel the same!

Sometimes, the anticipation of a thing is more joyous than the thing itself. I don’t think that was the case this time, but the anticipation and preparation were a joyful time for us regardless. We will miss having the event to look forward to!

HAPPY 21 YEARS

Looking back even further, our 21 years with Sarah have been pure and sweet joy all of the way. She joined our family quickly as a “honeymoon baby”, which turned out to be more of a blessing than we knew at the time, since she would be our only “biological” child. I was battling cancer while Bonnie was delivering, and so Sarah brought immense joy to us in the midst of those trials.

She was a bright and delightful child, full of inquisitiveness and eagerness. She memorized books and pretended to read them; she loved “helping” her Mom and playing with friends. Her twinkling blue eyes and bright smile were always a joy to behold. She became a wonderful, devoted “big sister” when Matt was adopted.

As she grew and matured, she showed intellectual sharpness and ability. Her grades were always top-notch. She would wake herself early in the mornings to study and prepare. She was eventually among the top of her high school class, and earned a full-tuition scholarship to BYU. Meanwhile, she was developing musical gifts, becoming proficient at piano, flute, and piccolo. And her social skills also grew and developed, as she found enjoyment and support in a wonderful group of friends. She was often sensitive and helpful to those around her who needed that support.

Even more important, she grew spiritually. She became aware and sensitive to spiritual things, learned to love the scriptures and the prophets, and found comfort in prayer. She earned her Young Womanhood recognition at a young age, and continued to follow the values she had learned in the process.

She was what every Daddy dreams for in his little girl – beautiful, faithful, obedient, cheerful, studious, helpful, loving.

Sarah and I had a little tradition when she was younger. We eventually collected 5 nicknames for her, and periodically I would ask her (picking one of the five nicknames at random), “Are you my princess?” giggle – “Yes.” “What else?” “Snugglebunny, goose, pumpkin, and prettiest girl in Utah!” I know she will continue to be all of those things for me.

On this day of joy, I consider myself among the most blessed of men to have a daughter like Sarah, and to be able to share her now with Brian. I love you, Princess!

2 comments:

Wendi said...

What a sweet tribute to your daughter! I also have fond memories of President Durrant--what a blessing to have him seal your daughter to her husband. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this post. And that quote by Joseph Smith has always been among my Dad's favorites. I'm so happy for your family. :)

Sarah said...

Thanks Daddy! Can I have some wedding photos?